How can Creative Counselling & Play Therapy help?
Creative Counselling and Play Therapy supports children and young people's emotional wellbeing and builds resilience. Find out more below.
• Each child and young person is a unique individual. Our bespoke, child-led Creative Counselling and Play Therapy sessions are responsive to this.
• Creative Counsellors and Play Therapists receive in-depth training and knowledge in Mental Health, infant, child and adolescent development, Attachment Theory, Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), Trauma and Person and Child-Centred counselling and therapeutic training.
• Sessions meet the individual need of each child or young person - no two interventions look the same.
•We use a range of evidence-backed, effective Person and Child-Centred therapy techniques and skills to ensure that we meet the child or young person 'where they are'.
• We specialise in joining the child or young person in their inner world, and engaging in the work with them there to facilitate healthy change.
• Cocoon Kids meets children and young people at their own developmental stage, and grows with them through their process.
• The child or young person is always at the heart of the work. Assessments, monitoring and feedback is both formal and tailored so that it is child and young person-friendly and appropriate.
Communication - Understanding Emotions
• Children and young people know that their sessions are confidential.*
• The sessions are child and young-person led.
• Children and young people can choose if they want to talk, create or use the sensory or play resources - often sessions are a mix of all of these!
• Creative Counsellors and Play Therapists help children and young people to explore difficult experiences and emotions at their own pace.
• Children and young people can use the resources in the therapy room to safely create, play or show their emotions, feelings, thoughts and experiences.
• Cocoon Kids Creative Counsellors and Play Therapists have training to observe, 'voice' and externalise whatever a child or young person may be communicating.
• We help children and young people to understand more about their own feelings and thoughts, and make sense of these.
*BAPT and MBACP therapists work within strict safeguarding and ethical guidelines at all times.
• Creative Counselling and Play Therapy helps children and young people have greater self-esteem and form healthier relationships.
• It can be especially beneficial for children who have had difficult experiences in their early life.
• Creative Counsellors and Play Therapists receive in-depth training and knowledge in child development, attachment theory and trauma.
• At Cocoon Kids, we use these skills and knowledge to foster a strong therapeutic relationship, to facilitate and support the child or young person's healthy growth and change.
• Creative Counselling and Play Therapy helps children and young people to better understand themselves and others, and have an improved awareness of their experience and effect on the world around them.
• At Cocoon Kids we know how important collaborative working is for the therapeutic process.
• We work with children and young people, as well as parents and carers throughout the process, so that we can best support and empower the whole family.
The Brain & Self-regulation
• Creative Counselling and Play Therapy can help children and young people's developing brains to learn healthier ways to express their experiences.
• Neuroscience research has found that creative and play therapy can make long lasting changes, resolve distress and improve interpersonal relationships.
• Neuroplasticity remodels the brain and helps children and young people to develop new, more effective ways of relating and managing experiences.
• We're trained in regression, embodiment and sensory regulatory skills and approaches, to help children and young people integrate this within their nervous system. Resources are used in telehealth sessions too.
• Creative Counsellors and Play Therapists use play and creative resources, skills and strategies to help to further facilitate this beyond the sessions.
• Children and young people are helped to learn how to effectively regulate their emotions both in and out of the sessions.
• This further helps them to have better conflict resolution strategies, feel more empowered and have greater resilience.
Follow the link for more information about the Play Packs of small sensory resources which you can buy from us.
Creative Counsellors and Play Therapist have a range of specially chosen materials. We are trained in child developmental stages, the symbolism of play and creative expression, and 'stuck' processes. We use this to best support children and young people's therapeutic process.
Materials include art and craft materials, sensory resources, such as orb beads, squeeze balls and slime, sand and water, clay, figurines and animals, dressing up clothes and props, musical instruments, puppets and books.
We provide all materials needed in the sessions; but follow the link for more information on how to purchase Play Packs of small sensory items from us.
We sell Play Packs of four different sensory resources such as stress balls, light-up balls, mini putty and fidget toys, to use at home or at school. Other useful resources also available.